Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Svetlana Petkovic: Tango Instructor


               Last Sunday the Durango Tango Society hosted guest instructor Svetlana Petkovic. I have to admit I was very apprehensive about the weekend for many reasons. My biggest fear was that our nascent tango community would not be up to the challenge of intensive exercises in technique led by a very skilled instructor with a strong background in Russian ballet.
               I had participated in one of her weekly tango workouts in Albuquerque and found it extremely rigorous but very, very helpful. There I relearned what so many great instructors have taught me many times before: to dance tango well, I must be on my own balance. I already know this but a full-time job and a penchant for cupcakes helps me to forget.
               I wondered if Durango was ready for a class focused solely on movement techniques and not on fancy figures.
               No fancy moves? How un-American! Exactly! That’s why it’s called ARGENTINE tango. I am a patriot and I enjoy somersaults just as much as any other American who watches ‘Dancing With The Stars’ but I realized long ago that acrobatics  are not what Argentine tango is all about. It is about two people moving to music in harmony and on their own balance.
                I worried that not enough dancers would show interest in a course simply titled ‘fundamentals’. This was a class for dedicated tango dancers, regardless of skill level. I stressed over that greatest of all workshop phenomena: gender imbalance. Finally I wondered if Svetlana would be too much ballet and not enough tango for Durango.
               I needn’t have caused myself so much consternation because she did an excellent job. The students fell in love with her right away. The next five hours was like a great date: dinner and a movie…and coffee and crumpets afterwards, followed by long, thoughtful conversation about the finer aspects of tango techniques.
               Did she say she was married? How could she let us fall in love with her and not tell us she was betrothed…wait, she did tell us she was wedded to Erskine which is okay because we loved him as well!
               The topper was when they both stayed for our regularly scheduled practica which immediately followed the workshop. The two of them didn’t just merely relax and mingle, they worked with any student who showed a desire to retain or gain a better understanding of what was taught.
               This is something more than instruction. This is love. Love makes things grow and tango is alive and well and growing in Durango thanks to Svetlana….and Erskine and Easter, the road manager. We owe them a great debt of gratitude for  putting in so much time and effort to bring tango to our little town nestled in the San Juan Mountains of southern Colorado, far away from any metropolis where tango is danced regularly.
               The weather changed that day and everywhere buds could be seen pushing out of the once frozen earth. Like the flowers and the trees, our tango community in Durango was also blooming. Thanks to Svetlana I feel confident that this summer our nascent dance society will bloom into a beautiful gathering of happy dancers.


 Note: For an in-depth look into the mind of the Kayak Hombre, read his book, available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/River-Tango-perri-iezzoni/dp/1453865527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369366756&sr=1-1&keywords=River+tango




              
              
              

No comments:

Post a Comment