Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Tango House of Madison

               I finally made it to a bona fide milonga in Wisconsin. This past night was a blur of great food, delicious wine, interesting conversation and, most importantly, some excellent tango dancing to the classics spun by DJ Childs. 
               It all went so fast that I hardly had a chance to get the names of all the truly terrific milongueros that I met. The tandas ended way too soon and the night was over before I knew it.  
               I went to a place called The House of Tango. It was super cool. The house is not so big but there are plenty of rooms adjoining a nice-sized dance floor that easily accommodates 12-15 couples.
                A woman remarked to me as we were dancing that the narrowness of the space forced dancers to obey the line of dance.
               The crowd was young; most people were in their thirties and forties. Upon arrival, they all partook of the many different wines and the absolutely delicious entrées available in the small kitchen.
               Everyone was very friendly. I was introduced by the hosts to most of the crowd almost immediately. The hostess even recognized my name and associated it with my blog, which I found very flattering.
               If you get a chance to tango in Madison, this event is an absolute must! The venue is a challenging space for Americans, as it is small but not too small. The size of the dance floor and the lighting reminds me of a few private residences I danced at in Austin, TX.
               This place also reminded me of Sangha Space in Media, PA, just outside Philadelphia, in the days before they moved down the street to their current locale.
               It doesn’t get any better than this for a stranger in a strange land, dancing tango. These wonderful people took me in and made me feel more than welcome, they made me feel like family. Thank you all so much and I can’t wait to come back again next month!






















No comments:

Post a Comment