Sunday, July 13, 2014

Addendum: On Getting More Dance Invitations

In my previous blogpost, Getting More Dance Invitations, I forgot to mention the most important thing: making tango fun!
Last night, at the milonga in Madison, I danced with a woman who is just beginning her tango education. She is disciplined and on her way to becoming a skilled dancer but it was obvious she was not yet able to relax within my embrace.
Over the course of a night, we shared three tandas together. She was stiff at the beginning of the first tanda but loosened up a little by the third song. After the end of the second tanda, she much more relaxed and began attempting more daring embellishments.
Near the end of the night, immediately after the end of a tanda with another tanguera, I saw her leaving the dance floor and cabeceo'd her once more. She readily accepted.
When we finished, she said enthusiastically, "That was fun!"
I remembered her words as I made the long drive home and it felt nice to be someone's good time. I also enjoyed our encounters.
Then it occurred to me that this was the key to getting more dance invitations: making the dance fun. After all, isn't that really what we're after? 

No comments:

Post a Comment