Friday, March 23, 2012

The Power of a Laugh and a Smile


                Last night I saw a young lady dancing with an older man. She was good-looking, skinny and ebullient. She laughed; it was a deep, hearty and honest expression of joy and humorous emotion. They were dancing open embrace but I could tell her partner was off to the moon. He went for movements requiring a closer connection and fumbled the ball. She laughed again but it was not the same: she was bringing him down.
               Three weeks ago, I was that same man but I didn’t get carried away. I maintained my composure and played the role she expected: respectable patron. Nevertheless, my heart was carried away and the euphoria of dancing with such a sweet young woman lasted until our next encounter. She looked right through me when I invited her to the dance floor. I was devastated yet I understood. To her, a week was a lifetime. She is young and beautiful; her encounters on the dance floor are many and often are much more wondrous, to her, than the one we shared.
               When I think about it, the reason for my ride on that emotional roller coaster was the happy emanations from a young woman: a laugh and a smile. They are powerful things and not just when employed by youths. In other dances, they are theatrics, in tango, they light fuses attached to powder kegs that each of us carries inside, each keg increasing in size due to our need for physical contact.
               Two weeks ago, I was dancing with a woman about my age. We were talking softly when I made a comment that she found hysterically funny. She was laughing so loud I had to caution her to employ some restraint but I still felt profoundly glad. A warm feeling swept over me and I continued to petition her for dances the rest of the night; I’m sure I’ll continue to do so at future milongas.
              


Note: For an in-depth look into the mind of the Kayak Hombre, read his book, available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/River-Tango-perri-iezzoni/dp/1453865527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369366756&sr=1-1&keywords=River+tango


No comments:

Post a Comment