Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Tanguera I Can’t See


               Sometimes I think the tango embrace gives me the ability to see inside a woman. It could be just my imagination but I believe what I believe: it makes me happy and helps me define what I think is happening. If I can define what I see then I can write about it and it won’t stay bottled up inside me like a thought that will kill me if I don’t write it down. Every now and then I dance with a woman who gives me no clue as to what she is experiencing. I realize now, that when this happens, it is Life telling me I have reached my destination.
               I had a job on a sailboat once and for a short time we were lost off the coast of Bermuda. The first mate, an ingenious Canadian from Newfoundland, showed us how to use a handheld radio to navigate. Pointing the antenna horizontally towards the horizon, he held the radio in his outstretched hands, a Micheal Jackson song was playing on a station broadcast from the tiny island 600 miles off the coast of North Carolina. He slowly turned around in a circle and at one point the sound faded, he stopped and turned back towards the place where the signal died.
               He explained that an antenna cannot pick up radio waves if it is pointed directly at the source. If a sailor knew where the station was broadcasting from then he could easily chart a course towards it. With that said, we turned our tiny boat in the direction indicated by the radio.
               So it must be in tango. My heart is the antenna, listening to the songs being played in the torsos of the tangueras I embrace. I look forward to the day when the music stops and I look into the woman in my arms and see nothing, then I will know I am at my journey’s end.



Note: For an in-depth look into the mind of the Kayak Hombre, read his book, available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/River-Tango-perri-iezzoni/dp/1453865527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369366756&sr=1-1&keywords=River+tango




No comments:

Post a Comment