Tuesday, November 6, 2012

River Tango Fan at ABQ Festival


               While dancing at last weekend’s tango extravaganza (more about that in upcoming posts) I was pleasantly surprised to find a woman who read my book, River Tango (http://www.amazon.com/River-Tango-perri-iezzoni/dp/1453865527/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290024257&sr=8-1), and liked it! Of course I had to dance with her and I have to say it was one of the most delightful experiences of my life!
               It happened Saturday night at the milonga in the grand ballroom of the Albuquerque Hotel in Old Town. As I approached a table full of interesting tangueras, one of them called me by my full name, a rarity since most people can’t even pronounce my last name, Iezzoni, pronounced ‘eye-a-zone-ee’.
               “Perri Iezzoni, “she said as I came near.
               “Yes?” I said, somewhat shocked at being addressed so formally. At tango events, an invitation to a dance is often offered and accepted with a mere exchange of glances. This was a big gathering of tango dancers from all across the United States so I was doubly surprised that anyone knew me, much less knew my first and last name.
               As we danced she talked about the characters in my book and remarked on how obvious it was that I loved the outdoors as well as dancing tango. She expressed a deep admiration for my ex-wife whom she said was an extremely strong and admirable woman. Big Jane is a character in my book who is one of the protagonists. She is to a large extent much like my ex but she is actually a collage of many women I have known, all of whom are remarkable women.
               We danced again the next night and my new-found friend gave me another gift beyond the recognition she had already given me as a writer: a tip on how to sell my house.
               “Plant a statue of St. Joseph upside down in the front yard.” She advised me. This is not the first time I’ve heard this old wive’s tale on how to sell houses and I’m going to follow it as soon as I put my home on the market.
               Thinking back upon the encounter, I have to say it made me feel somewhat older. My book was the furthest thing from my mind at the time, probably because I’ve moved on to writing another book. It will have some tango but no river running. The river is becoming less a part of my life out here and I look forward to more backpacking trips, not river runs. It seems now that my days of whitewater canoeing are more of a memory than an adventure to be planned.
               I guess I’ve moved on in my life and that is not a bad thing. I believe it is important for human beings, as we grow older, to keep an open mind as to the paths we choose to old age. I’ve worn a pretty good trail going down many rivers; I think now I will start wearing down some serious rubber on my hiking boots as well as the felt on my dancing shoes.
Peace, Love, Tango
Kayak Hombre

No comments:

Post a Comment