Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Denver Tango Scene

               After eighteen months in the Four Corners Region, I finally made it to Denver for tango. What a weekend! It’s hard to believe so much happened to me in only seventy-two hours.  
               On Friday, my partner and I drove from Durango to Salida going over Wolf Creek Pass. I am sorry to report that wild fires have consumed the area near Rainbow Springs, my favorite backpacking destination. There are hot springs along the trail and they are a popular with the hikers: remote, clean and refreshing. Pics of the smoke are attached below.
               Friday night we stayed at the Salida Inn, a reasonably priced hotel with clean, odor-free rooms. It is located on Rt. 50 as it comes into town from the west. We arrived at 10:30 p.m., got a good night’s sleep and were on our way by 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
               By noon we were hiking on the Colorado Trail at Kenosha Pass, elevation: 10000 feet!
               Once in Denver we were surprised to find that we could check into our hotel early. Our room at the Fairfield Inn on S. Colorado Blvd. was the cleanest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. The bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable which was good because we would be exhausted and sore after each night of dancing.
               I have to say that the Garbanzo Grill on S. Colorado Blvd. is a great place to eat healthy on a budget. We spent $20 on a meal for two people that was more food than we could handle and even had enough leftover to make a great breakfast the next day. I love dolmas(stuffed grape leaves) and cucumber/tomato salad and found theirs to be excellent.
               Our first tango excursion was to Boulder, to attend a workshop on Pearl St. near the Spruce Street swimming pool. It is hard to find. The entrance is off of Pearl St., across from the Boulder Osteopathic Center. Turn into the alley, towards the pool, and you will find the Community Dance Collective in back. There are two dance studios; ours was the one on the right, or Studio#2.
               The class was taught by two top-notch instructors, Darrell Sanchez and Sue Thompson. They have a website: http://www.coretango.com/
               Darrell and Sue teach movements in a series, over the course of several weeks. Since the class was small, only seven students, we received a lot of individual attention and were able to complete the entire sequence of ganchos by the end of the class. This was not an easy task and it required a lot of work on our part as well as much tutelage from our instructors.
               For $15, we received ninety minutes of almost-private instruction from two qualified teachers. This is quite a bargain and I challenge you to find better elsewhere.
               After enjoying the carnival-like atmosphere of the town of Boulder further west on Pearl St., we headed south for Denver. In forty-five minutes we were back in our wonderful hotel room getting ready for two milongas.
               I feel obligated to disclose the fact that I could not find any evidence on the internet of a milonga event for Saturday in Denver or in Boulder. Apparently this was a rare occurrence, and, thanks to my friends, Amy Beaudet (www.tango.org) and Michele Delgado (www.MoreThanTango.com), I was able to secure the time and location of two well-attended tango gatherings.
               The first was at Cheeseman Pavilion in the Denver Botanical Gardens, on the south side of the city. There seems to be some scheduling problems in securing this very elegant locale for tango and this is the reason for the lack of publicity. Checking the Colorado Tango Events Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/273316539359504/?fref=ts I didn’t see a final confirmation of the event until 6:02 p.m. and the music began at 7:30 p.m.!
               It was a small gathering of about forty people; all were accomplished milongueros. I didn’t get the name of the DJ but all his selections were excellent. His mix of Nuevo and Classical tango melodies was unique and very enjoyable.
               Ladies, I’ll have you know this was a leader-heavy event. I’m a heavy leader;-) but I found the competition for tangueras very fierce. Even though the crowd was gender-balanced, several of the women were accomplished leaders as well as stylish followers, and competed with the men to make dance invitations. 
               The woman I accompanied to the dance did not sit down the entire time the music was playing.
               Besides my partner, I only danced with one other woman, the hostess, Darlene Robertson. She is a very beautiful woman, as well as a skilled tanguera. I’m certain I would not have had a better tanda of dances even if I had danced with every woman in attendanceJ
               The milonga at the pavilion was only supposed to go until 10:30 but it was after 11:00 before we got out of there.
               The park is a sketchy kind of place after dark, so make sure you have someone to walk with you as you leave. FYI, I arrived from the east on 9th Avenue and I parked my car outside the grounds on East 11th Avenue, near an apartment building.
               It was just a short ride from there to the next event at The Savoy (http://www.naturaltango.com/). It was only through my contacts that I found out about this event. There was a milonga here on Saturday and Sunday. Both were well-attended gatherings of skilled milongueros dancing to a fine playlist of excellent, mostly classical, tango melodies. I did not notice any beginner-level dancers; I was busy dancing so I may have missed them.
               There are two floors to this facility and the tango part of it was on the second floor; the entrance was on the side of the building on 27th Street.
               If I hadn’t accompanied my partner through the door, I’d swear I had arrived alone because she did not sit down the rest of the night. This story was repeated again the following evening.
               I observed two very distinct styles of dancing: milonguero-style and not-milonguero-style. I come from the East Coast and used to find the milonguero-style confusing and confining. After two years of living and dancing west of the Mississippi, it was nice to see so many people employing this brand of tango with a wide variety of movements that I had not seen before.
               This is not to say that the not-milonguero-style was not performed with equal grace and enthusiasm. After watching people dance all night, it seemed to me that some of the tangueros pivoted with a certainty of balance and a quickness that I’ve only seen executed by native Argentines.
               On Sunday night I met one of the most amazing women I’ve ever danced with. Her name is Nona. A tanguera later told me she might be eighty-four years old. You wouldn’t believe that if you had danced with her. We danced and talked for the entire tanda! While we conversed, she executed perfect molinetes and performed the cruzada whenever I led it. She never missed a beat!
               So engaging was her dialog and so flawless were her movements that the tanda ended long before I was ready to part with her. One of the girls I danced with afterwards mentioned, with not a little bit of envy, that Nona got more dances than she did. This was not the comment of respect for an elder, rather, it was that of a woman competing with another for dance invitations!
               I did a little research on the internet and found this article about her that I think you’ll enjoy: http://fashiondenverstyle.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/nona-style-in-the-golden-years/

               It was a long ride back to Durango, filled with recollections of wonderful tandas and all the different people we met and enjoyed dancing with this weekend. I waited too long to make to long ride to Denver but it won’t be long before I make the journey again:-) 

Fire on the mountain!!! :-(

Nona!

For a better look at how the Kayak Hombre views the interaction of men and women dancing tango, check out his book, River Tango, available on Amazon.com




No comments:

Post a Comment