Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Las Puertas Tango Marathon | July 2013


               If you were a tango dancer in Albuquerque this past weekend then you must have attended the tango milonga marathon at Del Las Puertas. It didn’t occur to me until Sunday night what was unique about this gathering of milongueros and then it struck me: the women were happy. Well done, my fellow tangueros, the impossible has been accomplished!
               Too many times have us men been subjected to the lamentations of the fairer sex about the lack of dance invites at tango gatherings. I didn’t hear any complaints from the women in our group about any of the five milongas I attended on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The only whining being done was by my feet and knees at Sunday’s end.
               I was pleased to see the vast warehouse that encompasses the dance floor and tables of Del Las Puertas filled with dancers when I arrived Friday night. It is a huge space that makes the weekly milongas held here almost every Saturday night seem to be lightly attended, even with a good turnout. I’d estimate this Saturday night’s attendance at nearly two hundred people.
               Milongueros came from as far away as Florida, as well as from neighboring states. A sizable contingent came down from Denver. There were so many skilled dancers I’d have to label this event as the 'West’s Best Milonga!' Without a doubt.
               It was much more than a milonga. There were guest lecturers and instructors for those who couldn’t get enough tango at milongas. And there were prizes, lots of prizes! I won two gift certificates for local restaurants which helped the Kayak Hombre with his finances.
               Now that I’ve gone once, I wouldn’t miss this for the world. You should go, too! See you there in 2014! Check them out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/karen.reck/media_set?set=a.10201379481510813.1073741835.1287356897&type=1


That blond guy with the red-head hottie is me:-D
She's my favorite ABQ tanguera:-)






No comments:

Post a Comment