Saturday, August 3, 2013

Qtango and My Last Tango in Durango

               After driving for three days at seventy-eight miles per hour, my wonderful world of Durango seems so far away. I am in shock! For the last year I have been on a literal and physical high, living at six thousand five hundred feet above sea level at the base of the Rocky Mountains, experiencing tango with an incredibly intoxicating partner and dancing tango to country music at the Wild Horse Saloon. Now I am nine hundred feet in elevation in a large cow town on a very flat, windy prairie.
               Durango is definitely the wild, wild West and the tango orchestra that goes by the name of Qtango, is one of the outlaw gangs riding the vast expanse of purple sage, bringing a booty of musicians and melodies to a venue near you. I consider myself lucky to have experienced such an intoxicating place on its ascendancy to tango stability.
               When I think back on my initial experiences in March of 2012 and those of last Saturday night, I am amazed at how much progress this community has made in putting down such a strong foundation for the practice of this dance. A year ago last March, we were lucky if six people showed up at practica. Last Saturday, we hosted a bona fide milonga with a live orchestra and quite a few leaders and followers from other tango communities, hailing from as far away as Los Angeles and El Paso.
               If there was any wish I could grant to the tangueras of our nascent society, it would be that they get the chance to move to the music in the passionate embrace of a stranger. To me, that is the greatest joy of tango. It’s kind of like wife-swapping without the fear of STDs or performance anxiety. A person could still be hurt emotionally in this kind of situation but the risk is very low for such a big return on your investment.
               What would a midsummer’s eve dance be without a magical transformation by one of our ugly ducklings? I’m not going to mention any names but I’d like to talk about him.
               The man I referenced began last year but dropped out because he was discouraged by his progress.  While the band was playing, I saw him invite our guest instructor, Svetlana Petkovic, and was astonished to see she accepted. I would not have been brave enough to approach her. I think they danced a whole tanda. His gambit paid off because he has been a better dancer ever since. It is as if she sprinkled magic dust on him and suddenly he could move to the music. 
                Another tango leader is born! Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings. Every time a new Durangotan leader dances with Svetlana, he’s ours forever:-)
               Qtango, I have to tell you that I took you for granted. I danced so many tandas with so many delightful tangueras that it was difficult to tell that I was not in some huge metropolis instead of a beautiful college town nestled snuggly in the southern Rocky Mountains. You showed us love that night, bringing a sextet when we only paid for a quartet; arriving on time, helping out during Svet’s workshop and warming up while we got the room ready. It felt like we were your guests and not the other way around.
               Thanks, also, for inviting Dan, a.k.a. Tango Colorado Springs, who delighted all the ladies with his music selections and fine dancing. He was the icing on the proverbial cake; eager to dance with as many ladies as possible and enjoying each one as if she were a champion tanguera.
               It all seems like a dream to me now; surveying the dance floor ahead of me and seeing Erskine Maytorena in the lights, singing with his tremendous baritone voice, the town’s denizens peering through the studio's large glass windows, dumbfounded and not believing that such a wonderful event was happening in their sleepy little town on such a fine summer night.
              
              


No comments:

Post a Comment