Sunday, February 26, 2012

Taos Tea Milonga


               Finally, after months and months of milongas with too many guys and gender-balanced crowds, I hit a milonga that’s 3-to-1 in favor of the guys! What a weekend! Albuquerque on Friday and Saturday, then Taos on Sunday. I drove 530 miles and didn’t have much time for writing but the scenery was worth the sacrifice.
               Lloyd Shaw’s and Milonga de las Puertas were both excellent on Saturday. I practica’d at practica(Lloyd’s), with several tangueras, which was real nice. The practica also made the milonga at de las Puertas even better because several of the girls at Lloyd’s were at the milonga.
               To top it off, I even met a real live director/writer of a movie soon to be released and didn’t trip all over myself trying to get her to read my book. Maybe I should have but things are going real well and I’m just enjoying life now that the pain from my dental work has subsided. Also, I’m enjoying this blog and looking forward to the day when I get a new work assignment, hopefully in a big city with lots of tango:-)
               I debated all day Saturday whether to make the drive to Taos. It is 128 miles from ABQ to Taos and another 211 miles to Farmington from there. The road from Taos to Farmington, Rt. 64, crosses mountain passes over 8000 feet and I worried about snow cover. Finally, a tanguera I danced with at de las Puertas, told me the skill level was high but gender balance was 12 girls to 4 guys….what? I’m going! It’s funny the way she said that, like that was a bad thing. I guess for her, it is, because ABQ tango events always have 3 or 4 extra guys.
               Guys, that whole story about dancing being rooms of women and no men is a crock, perpetrated, I believe now, by women. They’re a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Once again, I admit my knowledge about the opposite sex constantly decreases the more I learn about them, Oy!
               Now, onto Taos. Guys, pay attention because this is like a AAA guide for single tangueros looking for great milongas to attend. You might be able to fly into Taos but then you’d miss the drive up there from Santa Fe. The scenery is fantastic! The Rio Grande snakes along beside the road until it eventually disappears into a deep canyon, much like the Grand Canyon on a smaller scale.
               Arriving in Taos, you’ll notice the mountains are very, very big. Stop and look behind you because you’ll see that the mountains are all around. Leaving Taos for Farmington was more spectacular, if you can believe it, and the panorama made the long drive home quite enjoyable.
               Finally, I arrived at Taos Tango Studio for the Sunday Taos Tea Milonga from 1-5 p.m. (Contact: taostango@gmail.com, 575-613-0287. Taos Tango Studio 1337 Gusdorf St., Taos, NM 87571; no website, sorry). This does not appear to be a regular event, so I think I lucked out.
               The studio is not big but it is big enough. The floor is composite but looks like walnut and must be floating because it was very easy on my feet. Also, the patina is perfect and leading many pivots was not hard on my knees, which has become a concern, lately. The more friction on the floor’s surface, the more wear-and-tear my knee joints suffer. However, too slippery is not good either and this floor was just right, like Goldilock’s bed and porridge.
               There were only five women there when I walked in. A lady introduced me to some people but I can’t remember any of that. I put my shoes on and began at the end of the bench. The first lady I danced with was incredible. She’d lived and tangoed in NYC and it showed. She was well-versed in the fundamentals and an excellent follower. We danced and talked like old friends. We talked about Dance Manhattan and La Nacional. She picked up on all my leads…it was amazing, gratifying and liberating. I hadn’t danced with a woman like this in a long time and it felt good to see what we could do together.
               After her, I worked my way down the bench. Many more ladies arrived and filled the chairs surrounding the room. I danced nonstop until I finally had to sit down after a tanda of very fast milongas. All the girls I danced with were great followers and very well-educated in the fundamentals. I had a terrific time. The music was incredible, too: mostly traditional but some very nice alternative pieces. I can't say enough about the selections of songs, so I'll just have to say, "my compliments to the DJ, job well-done!"
               At three, I had to change my shirt because it was soaked with sweat. I experienced a wardrobe malfunction: the zipper on my pants came off and my fly was open. My shirt hung down far enough to cover the hole but I still felt self-conscious. Also, the long drive was beginning to occupy my thoughts so greatly that I was finding it difficult to concentrate on leading.
               I left at 3:30 which, I believe, worked out for the best but I am definitely heading back. Guys, if you’re looking for a tango adventure, Taos is the place to go. Lots of talented tangueras, and I mean lots! Plus, Taos is an incredible town: awesome scenery and I’m sure lots of night life activities besides tango. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting Taos Tango on Sunday, Perri, and for your comments. I think I can speak for all the tangueras who danced with you by saying that we enjoyed the tandas!

    We'll spread your blog around the tango community in northern New Mexico, and look forward to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Daryl! I needed a full weekend of tango desperately and Taos was a real topper! Please email me when you have events and I'll try and make it if I'm not on-call for work and the roads are clear.

    ReplyDelete