Sunday, April 8, 2012

QtangoThe Best Tango Band in Albuquerque...and Anywhere Else!


               …is at the Sheraton Inn on Louisiana Ave on Sunday nights. Music starts at 5:00 pm. What a great event! I’m finishing up my tango weekend in Albuquerque and just got back from a place I’ve been reluctant to try because of the name: Qtango. I thought the ‘Q’ stood for queer. It stands for Albuquerque, I think. They abbreviate the name with ABQ. I’ll admit I’m homophobic but I do try to be open-minded. The truth is, I saw the capital ‘Q’ and didn’t give this event a second thought, mostly due to the fact that I’ve got a long drive, three hours, and I didn’t want to get back to work on Monday morning feeling wiped out.
               I feel kind of bad because this was easily the best tango event I’ve been to in Albuquerque. There is a live band and it is the best tango band I’ve ever danced to.Here is a link to their press release-http://www.qtango.com/Press_Release.html
               My regret stems not only from the fact that my prejudice prevented me from exploring a great tango gathering but also because I’ve been humbled by the band. I emailed them last week to make sure they would be playing on Easter Sunday. They replied that not only would they perform, they would do so in spite of the fact that they would have to drive 649 miles from their Saturday night gig in Tulsa, OK, to get there.
               This is the sign of a group of true tango addicts! They should get some help, seriously. So get down there on Sunday and support them with your presence and your tips because that is how they get paid.
               Here’s another reason for me to feel bad: I’ve been avoiding a certain tanguera for no particular reason, I just felt our encounter would not be good. I was so wrong. I’m such a stupid idiot. She was one of the most absolutely delightful tangueras a man could ever dance with: polite, skilled, full of embellishments and extremely beautiful. What was I thinking? I danced two tandas with her and now I am spellbound!
               She had a lot of competition, too. All the tangueras at this event were equally charming and accomplished dancers.
               I know this may sound like I had a bad time but I didn’t. I feel great! I’m just kicking myself for missing this event the last six times I came down here. It’ll be awhile before I get back and now I know what I’ll be missing.


Note: Check out my new book on Amazon: Fear of Intimacy and the Tango Cure.



Note: For an in-depth look into the mind of the Kayak Hombre, read his book, available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/River-Tango-perri-iezzoni/dp/1453865527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369366756&sr=1-1&keywords=River+tango




             

2 comments:

  1. You are such a jerk. Why would it matter if the Q did stand for queer, which is an outdated term by the way. I will never support your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of gay tango events bill themselves as 'Queer Tango'. I'm not sure what I would do at a queer tango milonga. I think I would feel compelled to dance another man and I would find that uncomfortable. I'm much more comfortable dancing with a man at practica but I don't think I could do it at a milonga.

    BTW, I am not asking for your support but I'm sorry to hear my words offended you.

    ReplyDelete